For more information about mental health problems, visit www.yourmentalhealth.ie or you can download their information booklet here [PDF]. This booklet highlights some of the things we can do to look after out mental health, and gives an overview of some common mental health problems.
Mind.org.uk has many useful factsheets on various mental health issues, including:
- Eating problems
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Post traumatic stress disorder
Coping with tough economic times is a booklet with helpful advise on how to mind your mental health during the recession
Mental Health Ireland is a national voluntary organisation which aims to promote mental health and support persons with a mental illness
Let Someone Know is a website providing information and guidance about mental health and how to look after your own mental health.
Solution talk contains useful articles advising parents on various parenting issues. These articles have previously been published in the Irish times.
Reachout – Reachout provides information for young people on various mental health problems, and addresses common issues that affect their mental health.
Spun Out – Spunout aims to provide young people with easy access to relevant, reliable, and non-judgemental advice in order to assist them in making informed decisions
Headsup – Headsup offers information on an automatic 24 hour text service, which advises young people where they can get help.
Self Help Books
(Available in Sligo County Library)
- Overcoming chronic pain : a self-help manual using cognitive behavioral techniques – Frances Cole (2010).
- An introduction to coping with stress – Lee Brosnan (2010).
- Overcoming anger and irritability : a self-help guide using cognitive behavioral techniques – William Davies (2009).
- Overcoming traumatic stress : a self-help guide using cognitive behavioral techniques – Claudia Herbert and Ann Wetmore (2008).
- Overcoming grief : a self-help guide using cognitive behavioral techniques -Sue Morris (2008).
- An introduction to coping with depression – Lee Brosan and Brenda Hogan (2007).
- Overcoming obsessive compulsive disorder: A self help guide using cognitive behavioural techniques – David Veale and Robert Willson (2005).
- Overcoming anorexia nervosa : a self-help guide using cognitive behavioral techniques – Chris Freeman (2002).
- Overcoming social andxiety and shyness: a self-help guide using cognitive behavioural techniques – Gillian Butler (1999).
Training the Monkey Mind:
The Noting Technique:
Accepting the Mind:
Mindful Breathing Exercise:
Below you will find details of the various services and news stories we have highlighted on the Spotlight section of our homepage.
February : Rennafix, a positive mental health promotion charity, which aims to subsidize life-enhancing activities in Sligo/Leitim
March: Leitrim Calling, a free confidential telephone service reaching out to older and vulnerable persons in our communities
Local News Items
Keeping you connected to local mental health news items in the Sligo/Leitrim area